Planning a simple wedding is actually quite difficult. There's so much you can throw into the mix with all the pretty things out there. I love simple weddings though because they really let a couple's personality shine through.
When you cover up everything in satin, lace, white roses and have lots fancy food, one wedding pretty much looks just like the next.
Keep things simple, though, and you can really enjoy your day by just being yourself.
Here are my top five tips for planning a simple wedding:
1. Decide on the essentials. Even with a planning a simple wedding, you'll still have some things - traditional, funky, or a little of both - that you really want to do. Sit down together and decide on the essentials. Do you want a fancy cake, a designer dress, or a live band at the reception? If you keep most things simple, these big ticket items will be the focal points of your wedding.
2. Start with décor. When you think about simplicity, what comes to mind? For me, it's spa-like, natural-looking decorations and light colors like tan, light green, and pink. Maybe that's not your idea of simplicity, but your mind probably does go to how things look. I would start planning with the decorations and just see where that takes you.
3. Food should be simple, too. Food is one of your biggest expenses, so you want to think about it a lot, regardless. Simple food could be finger food appetizers, a home style buffet menu, a picnic, or a single-course sit-down meal. There are lots of options. Just keep it stress-free and low-key.
4. Pick the right venue. Some venues just don't lend themselves to a simple wedding. An ornate ballroom in a hotel would look ridiculous decorated with natural décor and easy elegance. The right venue will make decorating and planning your simple wedding easier.
5. Make a relaxed day. For me, the best thing about a simple wedding is that the bride and groom actually get to enjoy it. There aren't too many things to fuss with. Having a relaxed schedule and plenty of time to spend with your guests makes a simple wedding enjoyable and memorable.
Back to the top of Planning A Simple Wedding
Back to Modern Wedding Ideas Homepage